Make your afternoon tea more inclusive with this recipe for vegan scones served with jam and dairy-free whipped coconut cream
Serves: 6 | Prep time: 10 minutes + 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes
For the scones
- 40g vegan butter, chilled
- 225g white, self-raising flour
- 1 heaped tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 110mls unsweetened soy milk
- Flour for rolling out
For the coconut cream
- 1x 400g tin full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge
- 75g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
- 1Tbs tapioca flour
- 1 glass or metal mixing bowl, chilled overnight in the fridge
You will also need
- A 5cm plain or fluted metal, circular cutter
- A non-stick baking tray, lined with parchment and lightly greased.
- Vegan butter and jam, to serve
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and quickly and lightly rub in the butter, using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and salt.
- Using a metal spoon or butter knife, mix in the milk, little by little, until you have a soft dough you can bring together with your hands.
- Knead the dough gently for a couple of seconds and add a little more milk if the mixture feels dry.
- Place the dough on a floured board and roll out to approx 3.5cms deep.
- Using the cutter, cut out as many scones as possible from the dough, before bringing the remaining mixture together with your hands and rolling out again to repeat the process and use all of the dough. You should end up with 6-8 scones in total.
- Arrange the scones on a lined baking sheet and dust the tops with a little more flour.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 mins, or until they are golden brown and risen.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool slightly before serving. These scones will keep for a day or so, but are definitely best when freshly cooked.
- For the coconut cream, open the tin of chilled coconut milk and scrape the solid part only into the chilled bowl.
- Using an electric or hand whisk, begin to whip the coconut cream.
- Add the rest of the cream ingredients and continue to whip for a couple of minutes, until light and fluffy.
- This mixture needs to be kept chilled and will keep well, covered, in the fridge for 5 days.
- Serve the warm scones with vegan butter, jam and the coconut cream.
Nutrition (per 100g)
Calories: 243 | Carbohydrates: 30.0g | Sugars: 11.0g | Fat: 12.0g | Saturates: 7.5g | Protein: 3.5g | Salt: 0.42g