A tasty alternative to a traditional turkey style roast, this beef seitan will satisfy the palette as a ‘meaty’ alternative.
For the roast:
- 396g pack firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 235ml (1 cup) mushroom stock
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp tsp vegan Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 10g (⅓ cup) dried porcini mushrooms, soaked and drained
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 250g (2¼ cups) vital wheat gluten
- 25g (¼ cup) brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- Oil for frying
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsp brown rice miso (optional)
For the cooking stock:
- 705ml (3 cups) hot stock
- 1/2 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- A few sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas 2. For the roast, combine the tofu with the wet ingredients, including the porcini mushrooms, in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the blended ingredients into the dry ingredients and bring together with a fork, then, using your hands, mix well into a dough. Knead for a few minutes, squeezing to be sure all ingredients are combined. The longer you knead, the meatier your roast will be.
- Shape the dough out roughly into an oblong with rounded edges. Wrap in cheesecloth and tie tightly at each end to secure.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the roast, carefully turning occasionally until browned on all sides. Allow to cool slightly.
- Transfer to a covered casserole dish. Pour the cooking stock over the roast and add the remaining cooking stock ingredients to the dish around the edges. The stock should cover the roast about halfway. Brush the top of the roast with wholegrain mustard. Cover and bake for 2 hours, turning every 30 minutes.
Per serving (243g) Calories: 256, Carbohydrates: 14.7g, Sugars: 4.0g, Salt: 3.1g, Fat: 6.9g Saturates: 0.8g, Protein: 35.4g
Taken from December 2018 (Issue 45) Christmas Cooking – Vegan Life Magazine
Recipe courtesy of: plantbasedmag.com