For the tostada tortilla
- 440g (2½ cups) fresh sweetcorn
- 220g (1¼ cups) chopped red bell pepper
- 115ml (½ cup) water
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1½ tsp chilli powder
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 120g (¾ cup) ground flax seeds
- Sunflower Sour Cream (see below)
- 100g (1 cup) shredded red cabbage
- 55g (1 cup) shredded romaine lettuce
- Spicy Pico de Gallo (see below)
- ½ large ripe avocado (preferably Hass), pitted and diced
- In a food processor combine the sweetcorn, bell pepper, water, lime juice, chilli powder, cumin, and salt, and process to blend. Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the ground flax seed. Let the mixture set for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Spread the mixture onto dehydrator sheets in 3in circles — this makes around 12 – 14 shells. Dehydrate for 8 – 15 hours at 45°C (115°F) until crunchy or you can leave them a bit soft for a soft style taco. To serve, top the dehydrated tortillas with your choice of the suggested toppings.
Per 100g Calories: 171, Carbohydrates: 6.9g, Sugars: 2.3g, Fat: 12.0g, Saturates: 1.5g, Protein: 6.2g, Salt: 0.18g
Spicy Pico De Gallo
- 400g (2 cups) coarsely chopped cherry tomatoes
- ½ small jalapeño, minced
- 2 tbsp minced coriander
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 large lime, juiced
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, jalapeño, coriander, onion, and salt. Toss to combine, and then cover with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Let marinate for at least 25 minutes before serving. Right before serving, add the lime juice and stir to combine. Store in a glass container with a tightfitting lid. It will keep well for 5 days in the refrigerator.
Per 100g Calories: 25, Carbohydrates: 3.5g, Sugars: 3.4g, Fat: 0.0g, Saturates: 0.0g, Protein: 1.1g, Salt: 0.22g
Sunflower Sour Cream
- 140g (1 cup) soaked raw organic sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 60ml (¼ cup) water
- In a high-speed blender, combine the sunflower seeds, lemon juice, shallot, vinegar, salt, and water. Blend until smooth. Add more water if needed. It should be a creamy mixture. Store in a glass container. Will keep for 4 days in the refrigerator.
Food Styling and Creative Direction: Raw and Radient by Summer Sanders. (Skyhorse Publishers.)
March 2018 (Issue 36) Vegan Life Magazine