Our very own Publisher Keith Coomber shares with us the recipe for his favourite midweek dish, Smoked Tofu Kedgeree, served with VeganEgg.
- 400g (14oz) basmati rice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbsp of oil (sunflower or rapeseed, for frying)
- 4 tbsp curry powder
- 150g (5oz) block of smoked tofu, cubed
- 60g (2oz) baby plum tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp smoked rapeseed oil
- 2 Follow Your Heart VeganEgg portions
- Start by washing the rice thoroughly with cold water. Once the water is clear you’ll know it’s OK. Cover the rice with water, add salt and turmeric to the water and bring to the boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Drain the water using a sieve or colander, wash through with a small amount of cold water to take out the starch. Leave to drain for a couple of minutes then put the rice back in the pan used to cook it. Cover with three sheets of paper kitchen towel. Cover with a lid and place back on a very low heat. (Select the smallest burner and set to the lowest heat. Use a diffuser if you have one) Leave to cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Finely slice the onion and garlic and gently fry in a heavy based pan or skillet until soft. Next add the curry powder and fry for a further 2 minutes stirring constantly. Making sure the rice is cooked first, then add the rice to the pan and fold through.
- Slice the tomatoes in two and add to the rice.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes or rectangles, and gently fry these in half of the smoked rapeseed oil until nicely brown. Use a separate pan for this.
- Cook the VeganEgg as if making an omelette in a separate omelette pan. Turn out of the pan onto a chopping board and roughly break up into small pieces.
- With the heat off the pan, add the chopped coriander, VeganEgg portions and lemon juice folding them all together.
- Pour the last of the smoked rapeseed oil over the tofu then add the tofu to the rice mix. Fold through and season to taste.