Spice up your pancake day celebrations by creating these amazing smoked tofu and sweetcorn crispy pancakes.
For the pancakes:
- 225g plain flour
- 700ml non-dairy milk
- 120ml mild flavoured oil
- Sea salt, a pinch
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp non-dairy butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml unsweetened soya milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp bouillon powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 300g smoked tofu, diced
- 200g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 3 tbsp gram flour
- 4 tbsp cold water
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 150g Panko breadcrumbs
- Olive or vegetable oil, for frying
- Melt the non-dairy butter gently in a saucepan and add the plain flour. Mix together to make a paste and cook gently for a couple of minutes, stirring to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Gradually whisk in the soya milk and continue to stir until thickened and bubbling.
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients to the pan and mix well until combined. Taste to check the seasonings and adjust if necessary. Set aside.
- Heat a medium, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a small drop of oil.
- Add all the pancake ingredients to a large bowl and mix together until smooth and bubbly.
- Once the frying pan is hot, add a ladleful of pancake batter to the pan and swirl it around to evenly and thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Leave to cook for a minute or so and then flip to cook on the other side. Remove from the pan and set aside while you make the remaining pancakes in the same way.
- In another bowl, mix together the gram flour, nutritional yeast, salt and water until as smooth as possible. Pour the breadcrumbs onto a plate.
- Take a pancake and place a couple of spoonfuls of the filling mixture onto one half. Fold the pancake in half to encase the filling completely and pinch the edges together to seal.
- Coat the filled pancakes in the batter, followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a splash of oil in the frying pan and gently fry the pancakes on both sides until golden, crispy and piping hot throughout. Serve immediately with a fresh green salad.