Makes 10-12 servings
- 300g (11/4 cups) plain soy yogurt
- 200ml (3/4 cup) + 5 tsp neutral vegetable oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 270g (1 cup) + 6 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 75g (3/4 cup) ground almonds (almond flour)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- A few drops almond extract
- 125ml (1/2 cup) plain soy or other non-dairy milk
- 450g (31/3 cups) plain white flour
- 400ml (2 x 14oz) tins coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- Pinch vanilla powder
- Pinch icing sugar
- 250g (22/3 cups) shredded coconut
You will also need
- Kitchen scale
- Four 18cm (7in) springform tins or round cake tins, greased or bottoms lined with baking paper
- Preheat oven to 180°C (Gas mark 4, 350°F).
To make the cakes:
- In a large bowl, whisk yogurt, oil and vinegar. Whisk in sugar and ground almonds. Whisk in baking powder, vanilla powder and almond extract until well combined. Whisk in milk, then gradually stir in flour. Stir well until batter is smooth.
- Using a kitchen scale, divide batter into 4 equal portions by weight. Spread one portion of batter in each prepared tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Unmold and let cool completely on a rack.
- Open tins of chilled coconut milk and spoon solidified cream on top into a bowl (reserve thin liquid for another use). Whisk coconut cream with vanilla powder and icing sugar to taste.
- If necessary, use a wire cake leveler or serrated knife to level tops of cakes
so they are completely flat on top. Place one cake layer on a serving platter and spread a layer of icing on top. Repeat with the remaining layers. Spread icing over top and sides of cake and cover with shredded coconut. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Per 100g Calories: 361, Carbohydrates: 32.0g, Sugars: 15.0g, Fat: 23.0g, Saturates: 10.0g, Protein: 4.9g, Salt: 0.16g
Recipe taken from December 2017 (Issue 33) Vegan Life Magazine
Courtesy of: The Vegan Holiday Cookbook: From Elegant Appetizers to Festive Mains and Delicious Sweets by Marie Laforêt © 2017 www.robertrose.ca Available where books are sold.