- 270g (12 sheets) filo pastry
- 900g (20 cups) fresh spinach, washed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest only (reserve juice for the almond feta)
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Black sesame seeds, to decorate
For the almond feta:
- 210g (1½ cups) blanched almonds
- 175ml (¾ cup) lemon juice
- 120ml (½ cup) cold water
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 20g (½ cup) nutritional yeast
- To make the almond feta, place all the ingredients into a high-powered blender. Process until very smooth, adding a splash more water if necessary.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl with a pinch of salt and cover with cling film. Wilt in the microwave in one-minute blasts until slightly cooked but still bright green. Transfer to a colander and squeeze out as much water as possible by pressing the spinach with the back of a spoon.
- Gently sauté the onions and garlic in a splash of oil, until softened.
- Place the spinach, onions, garlic, lemon zest, nutmeg and the almond feta in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Season well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. On a clean work surface, lay out four sheets of filo in a long strip, overlapping the sheets by 1-inch to join them together with no gaps. Brush with olive oil and lay another four sheets on top in the same way, repeat this until all the pastry has all been used.
- Spoon the spinach and feta filling along the length of the pastry strip as evenly as possible. Starting at one end, fold the pastry loosely over the filling and roll up into a loose sausage shape, to encase the filling completely. Don’t roll it too tight or the pastry may split whilst cooking.
- Starting at one end of the sausage shape, curl the end around into a spiral shape, until you have a round, spiral pie.
- Brush the top and sides with olive oil and sprinkle over the sesame seeds. Slide the pie on to a lightly oiled baking sheet and transfer to the oven to bake for 40 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Serve hot, warm or cold, with a fresh salad and some extra lemon wedges.
Top Tip: The assembled, unbaked pie can be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap well in parchment paper, followed by foil before freezing. Defrost overnight in the fridge before baking as above.
Per serving (224g) Calories: 377, Carbohydrates: 28.3g, Sugars: 3.8g, Salt: 2.1g, Fat: 24.7g, Saturates: 2.6g, Protein: 13g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine