SpiceBox Roasted Aubergine & Tomato Curry
Based in Walthamstow, London, SpiceBox is all about fresh and flavourful Indian food that also happens to be vegan. All recipes use spice to enhance the natural awesomeness of vegetables and are carefully crafted with plenty of character and style.
- 2 large aubergines
- 6 large vine tomatoes (halved)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 100ml veg oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bunch of coriander (stalks and leaves finely chopped separately)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 large red onion (sliced)
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger (grated)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Heat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Cut the aubergine into rounds and lay flat on a baking sheet – sprinkle generously with salt and set aside for 10 mins. On another baking sheet, lay out the tomatoes (cut side up) and garlic cloves (in their skins) and cover generously with oil (olive or veg oil is fine) and a sprinkling of salt. Once the salt has worked its magic and softened the aubergines slightly, add them to the tomatoes. You may need to spread the veg over 2 trays. Place the tray(s) in the oven to for 45-60 mins, until the veg is soft and caramelised.
- Take a large frying pan and add the oil. When the oil is hot add the cumin seeds, coriander stalks and bay leaf. Add the onion with a large pinch of salt and cook slowly until caramelised. When the onions are half-cooked add the ginger, coriander powder, red chilli flakes and tomato paste – adding a splash of water if needed. Cook out for 5 more minutes.
- Add the roasted veg. Squish the tomatoes and garlic with the back of your spatula so they dissolve into the sauce. Add the turmeric and a cup of water and simmer for 5 mins. Taste for seasoning. Finish by stirring through the coriander leaves and garam masala.
Recipe and images courtesy of SpiceBox