Get an extra energy boost out of your food with this recipe for an enchilada power bowl with spicy tofu, served with avocado
Lentils, rice and beans
- 95g (½ cup) brown rice
- 100g (½ cup) green lentils
- 585ml (2 ½ cups) water
- 1 x 425g (15oz) can black beans
- 200g (7oz) firm tofu
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, or tamari
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 340g (1 ½ cups) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp chilli powder (2 if you like it more spicy)
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 avocados (optional but recommended)
- 2 tsp oil
- Prepare the lentils, rice and beans: add the lentils, brown rice and water to a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add them to the rice and lentils. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- To prepare the enchilada sauce: heat 2 tsp of oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes, or until soft and golden brown. Add the chopped garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, spices, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, and salt to the saucepan, and whisk until combined. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, lentils, and black beans to the enchilada sauce, and mix until everything is well–coated with the sauce.
- To prepare the tofu, whisk together all the marinade ingredients until combined.
- Drain the tofu very well. Line a plate with paper towel, place the tofu on top, add another layer of paper towel and place something heavy on top. Press the tofu for 5–10 minutes. Cut it into cubes and add it to the sauce. Stir to coat and let marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook for 5–6 minutes, stirring frequently until the tofu is light brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve, divide the enchilada mixture into 4 bowls, top with half an avocado (sliced or cubed) and tofu. Top with fresh parsley and serve.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories 381 | Fat 6.3g | Fibre 18g | Carbohydrates 62.8g | Sugar 10g | Protein: 21.9g
Recipe and image from fullofplants.com @fullofplants on Facebook and Instagram