It’s National Curry Week (7th -13th October 2020), so we want to share this gorgeous Squash madras with you from Brett Cobley – a chef, vegan entrepreneur and author of the bestselling cookbook ‘What Vegans Eat’ (Brett’s next cookbook comes out in early 2021).
- Drizzle of vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp madras paste
- 1 tbsp garlic puree
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 large onion, roughly sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- 125ml (1⁄2 cup) coconut milk
- Drizzle the vegetable oil into a frying pan set over a medium heat, add the cubes of butternut squash, madras paste, garlic puree, turmeric, onion, and red pepper to the pan, stirring all of the ingredients together to coat them in the paste. Leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and leave to wilt for 5 minutes before stirring the mixture together. Pour in the coconut milk, stir, and simmer for 15 minutes until the squash is cooked through and the curry is fragrant. Remove from the heat and serve in deep bowls.
Brett is a firm believer that good food and open conversation can change the world. In early 2016 he made the decision to go vegan overnight. Having always been passionate about cooking and eating, especially with friends and family, Brett made it his mission to veganise all his favourite meals, developing creative, delicious and comforting dishes to show that a vegan lifestyle is inclusive, simple and full of flavour, and so his first cookbook, What Vegans Eat, was born!
Brett Cobley, Author of ‘What Vegan’s Eat’ – @brettcobley