This is a great way to use up any odds and ends you may have in your fridge or cupboard. Other veg, such as courgettes and peppers, would also work well in this soup and because you are blending it all up, it’s a great way to feed vegetables to your children without them knowing.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 240ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 2 tsp balsamic glaze
- 3 tbsp coconut cream or soya cream
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mixed seeds, to garnish
- In a large frying pan, begin by frying the onions in the oil until slightly softened. Then, add the celery and carrots. Fry until all has softened slightly and flavoured is released.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and stock to the pan and simmer for a few minutes. Then add the balsamic glaze, coconut cream, dried basil and salt and pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- After this time, pour the soup into a high-speed blender and blitz until smooth.
- Return to the heat to heat through and serve.
Per serving (177g) Calories: 90, Carbohydrates: 8.6g, Sugars: 7.9g, Salt: 0.84g, Protein: 2.2g, Fat: 4.4g, Saturates: 0.6g,
Taken from November 2018 (Issue 44) Vegan Life Magazine