- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 head of red cabbage, core removed, shredded
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 120ml (½ cup) apple cider vinegar
- 125g (1½ cups) cooked brown lentils
- In a flameproof casserole or heavy-based saucepan, warm the oil over a medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 3 minutes or until soft but not brown. Add the cabbage and apple and stir to combine.
- Add the fennel seeds, brown sugar, and vinegar. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stir thoroughly, and recover. Cook for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and the lentils are warmed through. Serve immediately.
Taken from April 2017 (Issue 25) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from : Power Pulses is published by DK, 1 March 2017, £16.99.