- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 red onion, peeled and very finely sliced
- 225g (1 cup) kale, washed and finely shredded
- 250g (2 cups) chickpea flour
- 240ml (1 cup) water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, spices, water and season well.
- Add a splash of oil to a frying pan and quickly cook the red onion for 1 minute or until slightly softened.
- Mix the onion, sweet potato and kale into the batter so that everything is well coated.
- Heat 1cm of oil in the same frying pan until shimmering. Add handfuls of the bhaji mix to the hot oil.
- Cook well on all sides until crispy and golden. Remove from the oil, once cooked, and drain on kitchen paper before serving.
Per 100g Calories: 186, Carbohydrates: 26.0g, Sugars: 4.0g, Fat: 4.4g, Saturates: 0.4g, Protein: 7.8g, Salt: 0.18g
Taken from June 2018 (Issue 39) Vegan Life Magazine