Get in to vegan baking with these delicious cinnamon roll sweet treats, taken from Issue 29 of Vegan Life Magazine.
- 4½ to 5 cups (565 to 625 g) plain all-purpose flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1½ cups (235 ml) vegan milk
- 1⁄3 cup (37 g) vegan butter
- 1⁄3 cup (66 g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Vegan milk for brushing
- ¾ cup (170 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup (112 g) non-hydrogenated, nondairy butter, softened
- ½ cup (75 g) raisins (optional)
- ¾ cup (112 g) chopped walnuts or other nuts
- 1 cup (100 g) icing
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) vegan butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegan milk
- To make the dough, using the paddle attachment in the bowl of your electric stand mixer, combine 2¼ cups (280 g) of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter, sugar, and salt, stirring constantly, until warm and the butter is almost melted. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, with the mixer on low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the speed to high and beat the mixture for 3 minutes. Replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook (or do this all by hand), and knead in as much of the remaining 2¼ to 2¾ cups (280 to 345 g) flour as necessary until you make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic, 3 to 5 minutes. (The dough will no longer be sticky to the touch.)
- Shape into a ball, and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours. When the dough has doubled in size, punch it down. Place on a lightly floured surface, cover with a clean towel, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, raisins (if using), and nuts. Set aside.
- After the dough has rested for about 10 minutes, roll the dough into a 12-inch (30-cm) square. Brush the filling evenly over the rolled-out dough. Carefully roll the dough into a log and pinch the edges to seal. Slice the log into 8 equal-sized pieces. Arrange these pieces on a greased cookie or baking sheet.
- Cover the dough loosely with clear plastic wrap, leaving room for the rolls to rise. Let the dough rise in a warm place until the rolls are nearly double in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5). Brush the dough with the vegan milk. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until they turn golden brown. You’ll also know they’re done if they sound hollow when you lightly tap on the top of the buns.
- While the buns are cooking, prepare the icing by combining the confectioners’ sugar, butter, vanilla, and milk in a bowl. When the rolls are ready, remove them from the oven, and let them cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle with the icing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition (per 100g):
- Calories: 365,
- Carbohydrates: 53.0g
- Sugars: 25.0g,
- Fat: 14.0g,
- Saturates: 2.7g,
- Protein: 6.0g,
- Salt: 0.39G
Recipe and image from: The Joys of Vegan Baking, by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Text © 2007, 2017 Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Used by permission from the publisher, Fair Winds Press, an imprint of Quarto Publishing Group. QuartoKnows.com