This tasty sweetcorn chowder is like a thick and chunky soup. It is a full of potatoes and sweetcorn, making it a filling and satisfying dish.
Serves 4 (as a starter)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 400g (2 cups) potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 500g (2 cups) tinned or defrosted frozen sweetcorn
- 800ml (31/3 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 200ml (1 cup) plant based milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bunch chives, roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized saucepan and gently fry the onions and garlic and celery in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the cubed potatoes to the onions, garlic and celery and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bay leaf and thyme to the pan. Whisk well if you need to, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, ensuring potatoes are cooked through and soft.
- Add the milk to the saucepan and bring to the boil again. Take off the heat, remove the bay leaf, then blend together with a hand blender. Add the sweetcorn, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and smoked paprika, and heat through if necessary to warm up. Stir some of the chopped chives through the chowder, leaving some for serving.
- Divide between four bowls and serve topped with chopped chives.
Per serving (534g) Calories: 295, Carbohydrates: 37.0g, Sugars: 13.9g, Fat: 12.1g, Saturates: 1.5g, Protein: 9.6g, Salt: 4.2g
Taken from July 2018 (Issue 40) Vegan Life Magazine