For Chinese New Year, serve up an easy Szechuan Mock Duck dish that will satisfy any cravings you have for Chinese food.
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 x 280g tin vegan mock duck, drained (we used Wing Yip)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 x 200g jar store bought Szechuan sauce
- Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside to soak.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan or wok until very hot. Add the mock duck and red onions and stir fry quickly, until the mock duck is beginning to crisp at the edges.
- Drain and slice the mushrooms, reserving the liquid, and add the mushrooms to the pan. Continue to stir fry for a few minutes until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add the garlic paste and sesame oil and cook again for a minute or so, until fragrant.
- Pour the soy sauce, Szechuan sauce and 4 tbsp of the mushroom soaking liquid to the pan and stir to combine. Allow to come to a bubble. Add more mushroom liquid or soy to thin out the sauce, if required.
- Serve hot, with rice or noodles.