Heady and fragrant, this spicy soup combines all the famous flavours of Thailand. Try varying the vegetables you use depending on what is in season.
For the marinated mushrooms:
- 500 g mixed mushrooms
- 85ml (1/3 cup) soy sauce
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
For the coconut curry soup:
- 1.4 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp vegan Thai red curry paste
- 400g tin coconut milk
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 1 pack noodles (we used ramen noodles)
- 2 tbsp mild oil
- Small handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Chop the mushrooms in half and place into a large bowl with all the ingredients for the marinade. Stir so everything is coated, then cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour, or overnight for a stronger flavour. Remove from the fridge once marinated and set aside as you prepare the rest of the curry.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the bottom of a large saucepan. Fry the onion for 2-3 minutes on a medium-high heat until it starts to soften. Add the curry paste and stir to coat the onion. Fry for another minute to release some of the flavour.
- Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk to the pan and bring everything to a gentle simmer.
- Drain the mushrooms from the marinade (set any spare marinade aside) and sear them on a griddle pan on a medium-high heat until they are cooked through. Using the spare marinade and a little oil, fry the courgettes until they are brown and slightly caramelised.
- Cook the noodles and drain, then divide between four serving bowls. Divide the soup between the four bowls then top with some mushrooms and courgette. Add a sprinkle of sesame seeds, fresh coriander and the spring onions.
Per serving (836g) Calories: 399, Carbohydrates: 31.1g, Sugars: 6.6g, Salt: 9.8g, Fat: 25.9g Saturates: 19.1g, Protein: 12.8g
Taken from November 2018 (Issue 44) Vegan Life Magazine