This recipe is a great way to use up left-over rice or any Thai curry paste that you might have lurking at the back of the fridge.
Serves 2 (4 as a side)
For the Thai broth
- 1 tbsp oil • 1.4 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp vegan friendly red curry paste
- 400g tin coconut milk
- 1 red onion, chopped
For the Thai porridge
- 240g (1 1/2 cups rice)
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 140g (1 cup) frozen peas
- 1 handful chopped coriander (plus extra for garnishing)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Sesame seeds (to garnish)
For the vegan egg
- ½ tbsp of vegan butter
- 50g (1/2 cup gram/chickpea flour)
- 60ml (¼ cup) water
- Pinch black salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the bottom of a large saucepan. Fry the onion for 2-3 minutes on a medium-high heat until it starts to soften. Add the curry paste and stir to coat the onion. Fry for another minute to release some of the flavour.
- Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk to the pan and bring everything to a gentle simmer. Set aside.
- Prepare the rice for the porridge by rinsing a few times under a cold tap.
- Pour 500ml of the Thai broth into a large saucepan along with the rinsed rice and ginger and bring to a boil. Turn down and simmer on a medium heat until rice is cooked through. Add more broth if rice starts to stick.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the vegan egg by whisking all vegan egg ingredients together to form a mediumthick batter.
- Heat the vegan butter in a small saucepan and when melted and bubbling, fry the ‘egg’ mixture for a couple of minutes on one side, then flip and cook on other side until firm. Set aside.
- When the rice has cooked through, add the frozen peas, the chopped coriander and soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- Divide the rice into two bowls and pour over remaining broth mixture. 9 Garnish with the vegan egg cut into slices, coriander and sesame seeds.
Per serving (1260g) Calories: 896, Carbohydrates: 138.2g, Sugars: 23.5g, Fat: 22.5g, Saturates: 3.7g, Protein: 29.5g, Salt: 15.5g
Taken From July 2018 (Issue 40) Vegan Life Magazine