Orchard Pig has partnered with plant-based producer The Meatless Farm Co to create an edible ‘love letter’ to the glorious pig – with no pigs harmed in the making.
They’ve made the world’s first cider-infused meat-free ‘pork & apple’ burger – using their vegan certified liquid as tasting notes to form the perfect pairing dish.
Meatless Mondays just got more fun! The recipe will be trotting around select bars in the UK this month, or you can try making it at home.
Ingredients for the Meatless Patty:
• 2 x Meatless Farm Meat Free Sausages (available from Sainsbury’s)
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 vegan-friendly brioche bread bun (or a regular bun)
Ingredients for the chilli and apple jam (to make one jar)
• 170g apples, peeled and cored apples
• 40g chillies, de-seeded and de-stalked
• 330g preserving sugar
• 8g (1 1/2 tsp approx.) dairy-free butter
• 50ml (1 scant 1/4 cup) Orchard Pig cider
• 2 vegan cheese slices (available in most supermarkets)
• Sliced tomato
• Red onion slices
- De-skin sausages and tip 150g of sausage filling into a bowl.
- Lightly wet your hands. Carefully roll the mixture into a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
- Set in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze down to flatten into patties about 3cm thick.
- Put on a plate, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge to firm up for at least 30 mins.
- Chop the prepared apples up into pieces about 2cm wide and add to a large pan. Blitz the chillies in a blender or food processor. Combine the blended chillies with the apples and add the sugar.
- Place on the hob and turn the heat to low. Stir the mixture occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Use a potato masher to reduce the apples to a rough purée then add the cider, mix well and add the butter, stir and turn the heat up. Bring the mixture to the boil (it will rise up), then when it can’t be stirred down, time it for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and carefully spoon into the jar and leave to cool.
- Grill the burgers on a BBQ until lightly charred on each side or, pan fry with a splash of oil for 8 minutes, flipping intermittently.
- Char the inner sides of the brioche bun on the pan/grill for 30 seconds to a minute, or until it has some colour.
- Place a burger inside each bun, then top with a tbsp of chilli and apple jam from the jar, vegan cheese and salad to taste.
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Meatless Farm Co.