This is such a classic dish — great for when the winter months are drawing in and you need a comforting, filling but easy dish to make for friends and family. Enjoy with some nice thick gravy and vegetables of your choice.
- 5 tbsp white vegetable fat (shortening)
- 230g (2/3 cups) plain flour
- 4 tbsp gram flour
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 570ml (generous 2¼ cups) unsweetened soya milk
- 6 vegan sausages of choice
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Place knobs of the vegetable fat into an 11inch (28cm) metal casserole dish and place in the oven to heat up for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flours, salt, bicarbonate of soda and sage together in a large bowl and measure the soya milk into a measuring jug. Using an electric whisk, slowly whisk the milk into the dry ingredients until you have a smooth, bubbly batter. Leave to stand until needed.
- When the fat is hot, whisk the batter briefly and pour into a jug. Working quickly and carefully, remove the casserole dish from the oven and fill with the batter. Arrange your chosen sausages on top of the batter, pressing them into the batter ever so slightly, then quickly return to the oven and leave to cook, without opening the door, for 30-35 minutes. Best served immediately.
Per serving (322g) Calories: 464, Carbohydrates: 67.3g, Sugars: 2.6g, Salt: 4.2g, Fat: 23.9g Saturates: 6.7g, Protein: 18.7g
Taken from November 2018 (Issue 44) Vegan Life Magazine