Put together a delicious family breakfast with this recipe for tofu florentine served with spinach, asparagus and hollandaise sauce
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, drained, marinade well and pressed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 500g (2 cups) silken tofu
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- A pinch turmeric
- A pinch cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp sunflower or other neutral tasting oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 vegan English muffins, split and toasted
- 1 large bag of baby spinach, washed well
- Asparagus tips, 4-5 per person
- Finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a zip lock bag.
- Cut the tofu block into 8 triangles, add to the marinade, and store in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour, or overnight.
- For the hollandaise, remove silken tofu packaging and heat on a plate in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute until warm. Place in a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Add all the other ingredients except the oil and blend.
- With the motor running, slowly add the oil until emulsified.
- Transfer to a pan and keep warm over a low heat, stirring often, until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, remove the tofu from the marinade and fry over a medium heat until golden and caramelised on both sides.
- While the tofu is cooking, lightly steam the spinach and asparagus, and toast the muffins.
- To assemble, top muffin halves with some spinach, asparagus, tofu, and finally the warm hollandaise.
- Garnish with fresh chives and serve.
Chef’s tip: You can get liquid smoke from most large supermarkets and independent health food shops in the sauces aisle.
- Calories: 135
- Carbohydrates: 7.1g
- Sugars: 1.3g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturates: 1.1g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Salt: 0.54g