For the tofu:
- 400g extra-firm tofu – pressed for at least an hour and cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 tsp madras curry powder
- 1/2 tsp kala namak
For the sauce:
- 150g (1 cup) cashews – soaked in 120ml (1/2 cup) hot water for 30mins
- 120ml (1/2 cup) water
- 230g baby spinach
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed/finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground corriander
- 2 tsp madras curry powder
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup tomato puree
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Chuck the tofu in a large bowl, add the curry powder and kala namak, then give it a good stir until all the tofu pieces are coated.
- Add a splash of oil to a frying pan, bring up to a medium heat, add the tofu and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown then set the tofu to one side until later.
- Put the cashews (along with the water they were soaking in) into a blender, as well as another 120ml (1/2 cup) water and a couple of handfuls of spinach – blend, and then keep adding handfuls of spinach until you’ve blended it all and the mixture is smooth.
- Get the frying pan back over a medium heat, add another splash of oil then add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Throw in the garlic and spices, then cook for another couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the spinach mix, coconut milk and add the tomato purée and tofu, season well with salt, then heat through for 10 minutes until it’s all nice and hot.
- Sorted – delicious palak tofu!