Vegan Tom Yum Soup
Vegan Tom Yum is my go-to and I probably average 2 bowls a week. Whether I’m on cloud 9, or nursing a little heart ache, my response is and hopefully always will be…Tom Yum soup.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 150g firm tofu, diced
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- ½ white onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 salad tomatoes, quartered
- 2 celery sticks, finely sliced
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped (seeds removed, if preferred)
- 6 lemon grass sticks, sliced open
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- Handful of coriander stems, finely chopped (save leaves for garnish)
- 1 inch galangal, peeled and sliced
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 1 lite vegetable stock
- 2 limes, juice only
- 100g rice noodles
- 50g bean sprouts
- 2 tbs Vegan fish sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by frying off your tofu, ‘til it’s crispy and brown over a high heat in a frying pan. Once added to the sesame oil, and seasoned with black pepper, this will take roughly 10-15 minutes of frying, constantly turning over the dices, so each side can crisp off. After you’ve achieved this crispness, transfer onto kitchen roll, to mop up any left-over excess grease and set aside until your broth is done.
- In a large saucepan, add the sesame oil over a low heat and add the diced onion. Constantly stir the white onion until it begins to look slightly translucent.
- Add the garlic, quartered tomatoes, celery sticks, chilli and coriander stems and continue frying for another 2-3 minutes, until the aroma starts to release.
- Add the sliced lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, quartered mushrooms and vegetable stock. Stir everything to make sure the ingredients are well combined and then place a lid over the saucepan. Leave to simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes, remove the lemon grass and add the remaining ingredients. Cook for another 5 minutes, ‘til the noodles and bean sprouts have cooked.
- Season to taste before topping with your crispy tofu and coriander leaves.
- Grab some chopsticks and a spoon and GO!