Fast and easy food doesn’t mean scrimping on flavour and these One Pot Wonders will show you how!
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 cloves (1 tbsp) garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) water
- 175g (1 cup) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 1 tbsp black olives, pitted and chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 470 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 280g spaghetti (or gluten-free pasta)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh rocket, to serve
- Place a large, wide, lidded pan over a medium heat and add the onion and garlic with ¼ cup water and a pinch of salt. Stir fry until softening and fragrant.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, capers, olives, tinned tomatoes and stock to the pan and stir to combine. Add the balsamic vinegar (along with the sugar and chilli, if using) and bring everything to a bubbling simmer.
- Place the pasta into the pan, and once beginning to soften, bend it round so that everything is inside and you are able to cover the pan with the lid.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and leave to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pan and add the fresh herbs. Mix everything together well and leave to cook, uncovered for another 3-5 minutes.
- Test the pasta is cooked, check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with some extra chopped basil (and a drizzle of olive oil if using).
Per serving (251g) Calories: 142, Carbohydrates: 26g, Sugars: 10g, Salt: 1.2g, Fat: 1.4g Saturates: 0.2g, Protein: 5.1g
Taken from November 2018 (Issue 44) Vegan Life Magazine