This classic, British comfort food is just like grandma used to make. A perfect sweet and sticky pudding that’s great served with cream, custard or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
For the pastry:
- 250g (2¼ cups) plain flour
- 75g (2/3 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 110g (1/2 cup) dairy-free butter
- Pinch salt
- 1-2 tsp cold water
For the Filling:
- 295g (generous ¾ cup) golden syrup
- Juice and zest 1 lemon • 100g (2 cups) fresh white breadcrumbs
- Put the all pastry ingredients, apart from the water, into a bowl. Rub together with your fingers until fine breadcrumbs are formed the bring together into a dough. If then mixture is a little dry add 1-2 teaspoon of cold water. Put the dough into the fridge for 15 minutes to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400° F/Gas 6. Roll out the pastry and line a 9-inch fluted tin. Prick the pastry base with a fork and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- While the base is cooking, gently heat the syrup in a pan until just warm and stir in the lemon zest and juice.
- Add the breadcrumbs and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. If the filling looks too thin, add more breadcrumbs.
- When the pastry case is done, remove from the oven, add the filling and spread evenly. If you have any leftover pastry you can create a pretty topping.
- Place the pie back in the oven and turn the temperature down to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4, and bake for 15-20 mins more or until golden. Serve warm.
Per serving (104g) Calories: 408, Carbohydrates: 70g, Sugars: 39g, Salt: 0.82g, Fat: 12g, Saturates: 2.9g, Protein: 4.8g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine