The sauce for this creamy carbonara pasta dish is made from cashew nuts. Pairing it with the crunchy smoky tofu bacon makes it a deliciously comforting dish.
- Spaghetti or linguini pasta (enough to serve four people)
For the carbonara sauce:
- 180g (1 cup) cashew nuts, soaked in hot water for 20 mins
- 240 ml (1 cup) plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp black salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the tofu bacon:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- 100g tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- A handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Begin by preparing the tofu bacon.
- Cut the drained and pressed tofu into small chunks. Marinate the tofu in the maple syrup, liquid smoke, smoked paprika and soy sauce. Set aside for about 20 minutes so the tofu can absorb flavours. If you want to prepare the tofu and marinade in advance and marinate overnight, the flavours will be stronger.
- Once the tofu bacon has marinated, heat the 2 tablespoon of oil and fry the tofu chunks on a high heat until crispy. Set aside.
- To make the carbonara sauce, drain the soaked cashew nuts then in a highspeed blender, blend all the carbonara sauce ingredients, except the black salt together. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the pasta according to packets instructions.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain pasta and tip back into the saucepan it was cooked in then pour over the carbonara sauce, add the black salt and mix well. Stir in the chopped parsley, saving some to garnish. Season with a little more salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide the pasta into four bowls, top with the tofu bacon and a sprinkle of parsley.
Per serving (266g) Calories: 550, Carbohydrates: 51.6g, Sugars: 8.4g, Fat: 30.3g, Saturates: 5.1g, Protein: 22.9g, Salt: 3.8g
Taken from July 2018 (Issue 40) Vegan Life Magazine