- 480g all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 pack of instant dried yeast (7g)
- 3 tbsp and 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 150g raisins
- 30g (¼ cup) chopped walnuts
- ½ banana, pureed
- Zest of one lemon
- Zest of one orange
- 125ml (1 generous cup)unsweetened almond milk
- 125ml (1 generous cup) warm water
- 2 tbsp of olive oil, with extra for coating the buns
Hot Cross Bun paste:
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 2 tbsp of apricot jam (or your favorite flavour of jam)
- 1 tbsp of water
For the filling:
- 200g Violife creamy original
- 3 tsp caramel syrup
- Mix the flour, salt, yeast, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, walnuts, banana puree, and orange and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Warm the almond milk, add the warm water and stir into the flour mixture. Then add olive oil and combine. When mixture has taken a dough like form, turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Make the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled glass bowl. Cover with cling film and place in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and arrange on a lined baking tray. Cover and let rise for another half hour until double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. In a bowl mix the flour and water to create the bun paste. Once the dough has risen, using a piping bag create small crosses on each bun.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together two tablespoons of jam and 1 tablespoon of hot water.
- As soon as the buns are out of the oven, brush each bun with the apricot glaze and let cool on a wire rack. Whisk together the Violife creamy original and the caramel syrup.
- Cut the buns in half and fill with creamy caramel sauce.
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Violife.