Make a delicious and satisfying vegan lunch with this recipe for a marinated tofu sandwich, loaded with fillings
For the Tofu
- 350g (1½ cups) extra firm tofu cut into 8 slices
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 130ml (½ cup) vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp water
For the Sandwich
- 35g (1/3 cup) slices red cabbage
- 1 large beef tomato
- A handful of lettuce
- ½ red onion
- Handful of chopped white mushrooms
- 4 slices of rye bread
- Vegan butter
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Combine the liquid smoke, vegetable stock, tamari, maple syrup, and water together in a shallow dish.
- Place your tofu slices in to marinate and set aside for at least 30 minutes (you can always marinate overnight for a fuller flavour).
- Prep the cabbage, tomatoes, lettuce and onion ready to assemble your sandwich.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add coconut oil, once melted, place tofu slices into the pan.
- Add half the marinade to the pan, cook for about 5 minutes, or until tofu is golden brown. Flip tofu and add the remaining marinade to the pan. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, fry the chopped mushrooms for 3-4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Assemble the sandwiches as you wish, making a total of 2 sandwiches.
Nutrition (per 100g)
Protein: 5.9g | Carbohydrates: 14.0g | Sugars: 1.5g | Fat: 5.0g | Saturates: 0.8g | Salt: 0.90g