Ramp up your next backyard BBQ with these smoky, delicious ‘ribs’. You’ll be the envy of the neighbourhood!
- 228g (8 oz) vital wheat gluten (available at most health food stores or online)
- 60g (2 oz) tomato paste
- 1 tsp beet powder
- 120ml (4 fl oz) vegan beef broth
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp (15ml) onion powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 8 lolly sticks
- 180ml (6 fl oz) vegan BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vital wheat gluten, tomato paste, beet powder, beef broth, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and pepper. Finish the mixing by hand. Knead the dough thoroughly to ensure even distribution of ingredients. Form the dough around each of the Popsicle sticks, creating flat rectangular shapes, each about 4 inches long and ¾ inch thick. Place the ribs on a well-greased hot grill and let grill marks form on the ribs.
- Place the grilled ribs on a parchmentlined baking sheet. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 80°C/180°F. Brush the ribs with BBQ sauce and place under the broiler to caramelize the sauce. Take the ribs out of the oven and brush with more BBQ sauce.
Recipe from The Vegan Meat Cookbook by Isabel Minunni
(£16.99, Sterling Epicure, available online and in all good bookshops)