Best Vegan Pulled ‘Pork’ Sandwich
This sandwich takes some preparing but is the perfect addition to any picnic or spread
For the pulled ‘pork’:
- 1 yellow or white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 x 560g (20oz) cans jackfruit in brine
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 360ml (12fl oz) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 480ml (16fl oz) Easy Vegan BBQ Sauce (see recipe), or store-bought brand of choice
- 2 French baguettes sliced into slider-size (or regular buns)
For the cashew mayo coleslaw :
- 1 x 400g (14oz) bag of pre-cut coleslaw (cabbage and carrots)
- 1 cup cashew mayo (see recipe)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Then, if you wish, cut the pieces in half then remove and discard the core. This is not completely necessary, but it does make for a more tender ‘pulled pork’ texture.
- Preheat a large non-stick saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until the onions are soft. Usually about 5-6 minutes. Toss in the jackfruit, garlic powder, chilli powder, smoked paprika, cumin, soy sauce, and vegan Worcestershire sauce. Mix until everything is well-combined and let cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Then pour in the vegetable broth, cover, reduce the heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While the jackfruit is cooking go ahead and preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminium foil.
- When the jackfruit is done simmering remove the pan from the stove and use a potato masher or large fork to mash and shred the jackfruit. Then use a slotted spoon to transfer the mixture to the baking sheet. Most, if not all, of the liquid should be absorbed.
- Spread the jackfruit pulled pork on the baking sheet, pour 120ml (4fl oz) of BBQ sauce over the jackfruit and lightly toss with a wooden spoon to mix it. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the jackfruit from the oven, pour the remaining BBQ sauce over the top of the vegan pulled pork. Spread the sauce evenly over the jackfruit using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Place the jackfruit back in the oven and cook for another 20-25 minutes. While the jackfruit cooks, go ahead and make the slaw. Simply add all of the coleslaw ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss until everything is well-combined. Cover and place in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
- Once the jackfruit is finished cooking remove it from the oven. Place generous amounts of the vegan pulled pork on the bottom piece of bread along with coleslaw and top with extra BBQ sauce if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Vegan Life tip
Leftover jackfruit pulled pork can be stored in the fridge for several days. Simply reheat in a non-stick skillet over low-medium heat or in the microwave.
Easy Vegan BBQ Sauce Serves 16
• 240ml (8fl oz) organic ketchup
• 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
• 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tbsp low-sodiumsoy sauce or tamari
• 1 tbsp white vinegar
• 2 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp liquid smoke
• 1 tsp yellow mustard
1 Whisk all ingredients together in a small or medium-sized bowl. Store in a glass jar with a screw on top. Will keep in the fridge for about a week.