Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This recipe uses fresh ingredients like tomato, coriander, corn and black beans. Stuffed into sweet potatoes and topped with an easy guacamole. Then drizzled with a citrusy vegan sour cream. Serve as a standalone main or side dish.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 260g (9.1oz) black beans
- 150g (5.3oz) cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 80g (2.8oz) corn
- 7g coriander, chopped
- 15g (0.5oz) red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Pinch pepper
- Pinch chili flakes
For the easy guacamole (for topping):
- 1 avocado
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Pinch sea salt
For the vegan sour cream (to drizzle):
- 80g (2.8oz) coconut yoghurt
- ½ tsp lime juice
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Using a fork, poke small holes in the sweet potatoes going all the way round, about 1-inch apart. Line baking tray with parchment paper, and paint sweet potatoes with oil to lightly coat. Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until fork tender. (See Top Tip to check for doneness.)
- In a bowl, combine the black beans, tomato, corn, coriander, red onion and garlic. Drizzle with the lime juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and chili flakes. Mix to combine
- Prepare easy guacamole: Mash avocado in a bowl with lime juice and a pinch of sea salt
- Prepare vegan sour cream: In a separate bowl mix together coconut yoghurt, lime juice and sea salt.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and fill with black bean medley. Top with easy guacamole and drizzle with vegan sour cream.
Vegan Life tip
Baking time for the sweet potatoes are dependent on size. Smaller sweet potatoes will take closer to 40 minutes, whereas larger sweet potatoes take closer to 1 hour. To check doneness, insert a toothpick into the largest part of the sweet potato; it should glide
effortlessly with little resistance.