Breakfast Potato Cakes with Chilli Jam
Soft, crispy and hearty breakfast patties made from sweet potato and warming spices. These are easy to make with simple ingredients and are a healthy, wholesome and vibrant meal at any time of day. They are naturally vegan and gluten-free, too.
Serves 2 (makes 12-14 cakes)
- 500g (17.6 oz) potato or sweet potato (approx. 3 medium potatoes)
- 1 medium carrot (100g/3.5 oz), grated
- 60g (2.1 oz) gluten-free flour (or plain flour)
- 2 tsp cornflour or arrowroot powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh chive, chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast or grated vegan cheese, optional
- Salt and pepper
- Oil, for frying
- 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt (vegan)
- 2 tbsp Rubies in the Rubble Chilli Jam
- Roast or steam the sweet potato until tender - we like to roast them whole at 180°C/355°F/Gas 4 for 40-60 minutes until tender. Allow to cool and scoop out the flesh.
- Add the cooled sweet potato to a bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in the grated carrot, flour, cornflour, paprika, spring onion, chive, a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in the nutritional yeast or grated cheese, if using.
- Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan and, once hot, add spoonfuls of the sweet potato mix and shape into rounds (about 50g each). Allow to cook for about 5 minutes on a medium-high heat, until firm underneath, then flip over and cook for another 5 minutes. The potato cakes will be firm and crisp on the outside but tender in the middle so handle carefully.
- Continue to cook all the potato cakes, keep the others warm in the oven at the lowest setting, if desired.
- Serve stacked with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, chilli jam and any other toppings. They are great with roasted tomatoes, fried mushrooms, herbs and pomegranate.