Caramel Apple Pie Cookies
These Caramel Apple Pie Cookies are like tiny apple pies with a drizzle of caramel. The cosy ingredients — applesauce, pecans, apples and caramel together with the delicious autumn spices of cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg — form an irresistible combination. The look is rustic, and they are easy to make, and perfect for breakfast.
Makes 22 Cookies
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tbsp applesauce
- 190g (6.7 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 113g (4 oz) vegan butter, softened
- 100g (3.5 oz) granulated sugar
- 100g (3.5 oz) brown sugar
- 65g (2.3 oz) chopped pecans
- 100g (3.5 oz) chopped apple
For the vegan caramel sauce:
- 50g (1.7 oz) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp vegan cream such as oat-based cooking cream or coconut cream
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground flax seeds with the applesauce for the flax ‘egg’ and let it set for at least 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl with a handheld mixer or with a stand mixer, cream together the vegan butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Stir in the flax ‘egg.’
- Mix the dry ingredients with the creamed butter, sugar and flax ‘egg’ softened mixture. Fold in the chopped pecans and chopped apple and combine until the dough is firm.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons (30g/1 oz) of dough and flatten the dough into a cookie. Bake the cookies for 15 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, mix the brown sugar and vegan cream in a saucepan. Bring them to a boil and let them bubble away at low to medium heat for about 5 minutes until the caramel thickens. Add a pinch of salt. Drizzle the caramel sauce over each cookie.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Recipe from Fantastic Vegan Cookies by Tiina Strandberg (Page Street Publishing Co. 2021).
Photography by Tiina Strandberg.