Caramelised Pear French Toast
Caramelised Pear French Toast - Layers of squidgy, fluffy and sweet banana toast topped with caramelised pears, with a drizzle of maple and some creamy yoghurt. The pears add a delicious seasonal element.
For the caramelised pears:
- 3 pears, sliced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 slices bread of choice — chunky white or sourdough
- 375ml (12.6 fl oz) plant-based milk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 210g (7.4 oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 large ripe banana
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- Oil, for frying
- Plant-based yoghurt
- Nut butter
- Maple syrup
- Toasted walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Add the pears to a baking tray then drizzle with maple and cinnamon. Toss to combine. Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes until soft and caramelised.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, maple syrup, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Mash up the banana and add it along with the dates to the mix. Stir well.
- Pour some of the batter into a shallow dish (with sides), now add a slice of bread, then lift or flip the bread over to make sure both sides are coated.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan (medium heat) then add a bread slice and cook for a few minutes per side, until golden brown. Repeat with the other slices.
- For a stack of French toast — place the first slice on a plate, spread over peanut butter and then place the next slice on top. Repeat.
- Top the third slice with the pears and yoghurt and a sprinkle of nuts and maple. Or you can just serve one slice topped with everything!
Vegan Life tip
The key to getting a fluffy French toast is making sure the batter is really thick and sticks to the sides of the bread and coats it really well. Encase the bread in the pancake-like batter and watch it fluff up.
Recipe from My Vegan Year: The Young Person’s Guide to Going Plant-Based by Niki Webster (£14.99, Welbeck Children’s) available now.