Chocolate Yeast Buns
The perfect addition to your continental vegan breakfast spread. You’ll be making these buns time and time again!
130g (4.5 oz) soya quark curd/thick soya yogurt
- 50ml (1.6 oz) warm-hot water
- 50g (1.7 oz) coconut sugar
- 17g (0.5 oz) fresh yeast or 7g dry yeast
- 300g (10.5 oz) flour (we used spelt, type 630)
- One pinch of salt
- 30g (1 oz) vegan margarine, room temperature
- 60g (2 oz) vegan chocolate drops/ chips, dark
- Date or coconut blossom syrup, diluted
- Mix soya quark with the water and sugar. Crumble and add the yeast, stir until it’s combined and let it rest for 2 min. Mix flour and salt and add the yeast mixture and margarine. Knead to a dough (5 min). Let it rest for 30-60 minutes (in a warm place, not over 40°C/105°F).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 upper and lower heat.
- Knead the dough again (5 min) and fold in the chocolate drops. Form little buns, spread some diluted date or coconut blossom syrup over them (optional for the colour) and bake them for 20 min until they are golden brown. They taste the best when they are still a little warm!
- If you want to add a filling: cut a small hole in the bun and use an icing bag to fill it with some vegan chocolate cream.
The perfect addition to your continental vegan breakfast spread. You’ll be making these Chocolate Yeast Buns time and time again!