Cruelty-Free Fried ‘Chicken’
There’s no need to miss your favourite fried chicken — try this recipe that uses oyster mushrooms for a great alternative that tastes and feels like chicken.
- 300g (10.5oz) gram flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- 200g (7oz) oyster mushroom clusters
- 150ml (5fl oz) soya milk
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the milk and mushrooms.
- Place half the dry mix into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Into one of the bowls, whisk the soya milk. The mix should be about the same consistency as pancake batter
- Carefully divide the oyster mushroom clusters, trying to keep them clustered up as much as possible.
- Add these to the wet batter, coat well and allow them to soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Fill a large deep pan or deep fryer with vegetable or sunflower oil and heat it to 200°C/400°F (a probe thermometer comes in super handy for this).
- Carefully take the mushroom clusters from the wet batter, coat well in the dry batter, shake off any excess, then gently drop them into the hot oil. You’ll probably need to do this in at least two batches to keep the temperature consistent.
- Turn each one over after a few minutes and repeat until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the pan and rest on some kitchen towel to soak up the excess oil whilst all the mushrooms are fried
- Devour immediately with your favourite sides.
Recipe by PlantBased Bloke, @plantbasedbloke