Garlic & Parsley Cream Cheese
A tasty and flavourful cream cheese that is perfect for your cheeseboard.
- 1 small head garlic
- 4 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 150g (5.2 oz) raw cashew pieces, soaked in water 8-10 hours, rinsed and drained
- 25g (0.8 oz) unsweetened coconut flakes, soaked in water 15 minutes, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½-1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp water (if needed)
- Extra herbs for decorating finished cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C/450°F/Gas 6. Cut off the top third or so of the garlic and wrap the head in foil. Place the garlic in the oven and roast for 30-45 minutes, or until fragrant and very soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before unwrapping.
- Line a mould, or moulds, with cheesecloth or cling film. Sprinkle the bottom of each mould with two tablespoons of each herb, reserving the remaining herbs.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, blitz the cashew pieces, coconut flakes and salt until fairly smooth — it may not go completely smooth, but you can help it along with the water (if needed).
- Squeeze the cloves from the roasted garlic and drop into the bowl of the food processor. Add the garlic powder and the lemon juice and process until thoroughly combined. Then stir through the rest of the fresh herbs.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared moulds, pressing the cheese down into the herbs and cheesecloth/clingfilm. Tap the moulds on the counter a few times, to level the top and release any air bubbles. Cover the cheese with cling film, place in the refrigerator and leave to set overnight.
- The next day, gently tug at the cheesecloth/cling film to remove the cream cheese from the mould. Serve that day with bread or crackers, or keep the cheese in an airtight container for up to one week.
Recipe by Vegan Life in-house chefs.