Classic and surprisingly simple, these sliced potatoes are cooked in a creamy sauce, with lingering flavours of thyme, garlic and nutmeg. A sophisticated alternative to mashed potatoes with vegan sausages.
Serves 4 as a side
- 3 baking potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 200ml (6.7fl oz) soya single (light) cream
- 200ml (6.7fl oz) unsweetened soya milk
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Blot the potato slices with kitchen paper or a clean tea (dish) towel to remove the excess moisture. Arrange the slices over 3 layers in a deep roasting dish.
- In a jug (pitcher), whisk together the soya cream, soya milk, thyme, garlic and nutmeg
- Pour the creamy sauce generously over the layered potatoes and cover loosely with foil. Bake in the oven for 1¼ hours.
- Carefully remove and discard the foil, then return to the oven for a further 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and season generously with salt and pepper before serving
Vegan Life tip
Use fresh thyme in this recipe for the best flavour and fragrance.
Simply drag your thumb and finger down the length of the thyme
sprig to easily remove the leaves.
Recipe from Vegan Roasting Pan by Katy Beskow
(Quadrille, £15). Photography ©Luke Albert.