Gravche Supa — Cannellini Bean Soup
Making this soup will fill your home with a truly comforting aroma, perfect for those chilly evenings.
4 - 6
- 370g (13 oz) dried cannellini beans, soaked for at least 6 hours in plenty of water
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 500g (17.6 oz) tinned tomatoes
- 1L (1.7 pints) low-salt veg stock
- 480ml (16.2 fl oz) boiling water
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp chopped fresh mint
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Drain and rinse the beans and place them in a large stockpot. Cover with about 2.5L (4.3 pints) of cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 1.5 hours or until the beans are tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until translucent. Stir in the carrots and continue to cook for 5 or 6 minutes, until tender. Stir in the garlic, paprika and chilli flakes. Sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, boiling water, potatoes and salt. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the beans and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the mint and plenty of black pepper.
Recipe from Macedonia: The Cookbook by Katerina Nitsou (Published by Kitchen Press).