Homemade Cultured Vegan Mozzarella
Try your hand at some cultured mozzarella — your taste buds will thank you!
- 235g (8.2 oz) vegan coconut yoghurt
- 150g (5.2 oz) raw cashews
- 240ml (8 fl oz) water
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp agar powder
- Rosemary, garlic, peppercorns
- Soak the cashews overnight.
- Strain the soaked cashews and blitz them with the yoghurt, half the water and salt until completely smooth, then leave to culture for about 24 hours at room temperature.
- After that time, pour the mix into a saucepan with the remaining ingredients and stir constantly for at least 10 minutes until the mix is super thick, stretchy and a bit glossy.
- Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- Use an ice cream scoop to drop balls of the mix into the ice bath where they will take shape.
- Leave to cool for half an hour, then transfer to a jar.
- Make a brine with 2 tbsp of salt mixed with 120-240ml (4-8 fl oz) of water, depending on the size of your jar, and place the balls in the brine.
- Add some rosemary, garlic and peppercorns (optional) and leave in the fridge to use over the next couple of weeks.