Mediterranean Bulgur Salad Tabbouleh
This recipe puts the 'oooh' in 'tabbouleh'! A Mediterranean favourite, this dish brings a bright, fresh, clean and healthy addition to any lunch box. The longer it rests, the more flavourful it becomes - great for meal prep. Serves 4-6
- 225g (8 oz) bulgur wheat
- 375ml (12.6 fl oz) boiling water
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt, divided
- 1 bunch spring onions (scallions), white and green parts, finely chopped
- 25g (0.8 oz) finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 25g (0.8 oz) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 2 firm Roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Romaine lettuce leaves (optional)
- 1 Place the bulgur wheat in a large bowl, pour in the boiling water, and add the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and ½ tsp of the salt. Stir, and then allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Add the spring onions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, the remaining 1 tsp of the salt and the pepper; mix well. Season, to taste, and serve or cover and refrigerate at least one hour. Serve in lettuce leaves, if desired.
Recipe from Katie Chin's Global Family
Cookbook (Published by Tuttle Publishing).
Photos copyright © 2021 Katie Chin.