Fluffy nutty quinoa gently simmered in almond cream with saffron strands, cardamom seeds, and star anise to form a mouth-watering porridge.
- 150g (5.3oz) quinoa
- 100g (3.5oz) blanched almonds
- 650ml (1.1L) filtered water
- 1 star anise
- 3 cardamom pods
- 6-8 saffron strands (optional)
- 50g (1.7oz) raw unrefined cane sugar
- Pinch of salt
- If you have unblanched almonds, blanch them in boil water and this will remove their skin, effortlessly.
- Place almonds with the water, star anise, cardamom seeds, saffron, sugar and salt in a high-speed blender and whizz until fine. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- Add in the quinoa and gently simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir intermittently
- As the quinoa starts to thicken, keep an eye on the porridge and stir continuously. It should become creamy. Taste to see if it retains crunchiness to it still but with the quinoa burst.
- Switch off the heat. Cover and serve immediately.
- Garnish with toppings or dish up on its own.