Spiced Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney
A warming and flavourful chutney that would make a great gift — or make double and keep one for yourself!
Makes 1 small pot
- 400g (14.1 oz) rhubarb, trimmed and sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 star anise, whole
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 120ml (4 fl oz) cold water
- 60ml (2 fl oz) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Place all the ingredients in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Allow to gently cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Once cooked, leave to cool and store, covered, in the fridge for up to 1 week. This can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipe by Vegan Life in-house chefs.