Spinach & Red Pepper Houmous Melts
Put your favourite veggies on top of these melts — sliced carrot and chopped kale are two we like to add — and add some vegan mozzarella if you want!
- 2 whole-grain English muffins
- ½ bell pepper, any colour
- 2 tbsp water, plus more as needed
- 30g (1oz) fresh baby spinach
- 125g (4.4oz) houmous
- 60g (2oz) shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Prep the ingredients. Split the English muffins and lightly toast them. Meanwhile, chop the bell pepper into small bite-size pieces.
- Sauté the vegetables. In a skillet, heat the water over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the spinach wilts and the bell pepper is slightly soft. Add another tablespoon of water if the skillet gets dry. Remove from the heat
- Assemble the melts. Put the English muffins on a baking sheet and slather evenly with the houmous. Top each with the vegetables and cheese (if using).
- Broil. Preheat the broiler on low heat. Place the baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, checking every 30 seconds. You want the veggies to toast, not burn. Once the tops are nicely browned, using oven mitts, carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven. Let the melts cool for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe from Kid Chef Vegan by Barb Musick (published by Rockridge Press). Copyright © 2021 by Callisto Media, Inc. All rights reserved.