Sprouted Barley & Kale Soup
Packing your soup with barley will help you feel fuller for longer, and sprouting it in advance helps to increase its nutritional power.
- 200g (7 oz) raw barley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chilli
- 1 tsp ground kelp
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Vegetable stock, to cover
- 5 handfuls of ripped kale leaves
- 5 cloves of crushed garlic
- Soak the whole barley in water overnight. The next day, strain and continue to rinse and strain for a couple of days until tiny white shoots start to appear on the grains.
- When ready, cook the barley in boiling water until the grains are soft (10-15 minutes), rinse and set aside.
- Fry the onion in olive oil with a pinch of salt until thoroughly sautéed.
- Add the bay leaves, herbs and spices and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the kelp, tomatoes, vinegar and stock and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Next add the kale, barley and garlic. Adding the garlic now allows the flavour to remain strong and for its oils not to burn off, and adding the kale and barley at this stage means it won’t over cook.
- Simmer for at least another half an hour.