Sweet Potato and Mushroom Pie
Sweet Potato & Mushroom Pie - This delicious pie with a creamy, flavourful filling will definitely go down well at your holiday dinner.
- 490g (17.3 oz) vegan puff pastry
- 800g (1.75 lb) uncooked sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 375g (13.2 oz) chopped white mushrooms
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp vegan cream
- If your dough has been frozen, place it in the refrigerator the night before you intend to bake it.
- Wash but don’t peel the sweet potatoes and boil them until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Heat oil in a pan and add chopped white mushrooms, salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released their juices.
- When the potatoes are soft, drain them and rinse with cold water. Peel the potatoes and chop into smaller cubes. Add the potato cubes to the mushrooms along with lemon juice and vegan cream. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Taste for salt, and then remove from heat.
- Grease an 11-inch round cake pan. Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface and cut into two equal squares. Place one square onto the bottom of the cake pan and pinch the edges until smoother and more rounded. Add the filling and then place the second puff pastry square onto the top of the filling. Crimp the bottom and upper pastry edges together and smooth a little bit with your fingers. Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.