Family-friendly, flavourful and proteinpacked, these tofu nuggets are made with simple and wholesome ingredients. With a crispy, crunchy, and well-seasoned breaded exterior and a soft meaty-like interior. This recipe can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- 900g (2lbs) extra-firm tofu (2 packets of 450g/16oz tofu)
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp miso
- 180ml (6fl oz) hot water
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
For the breading:
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 120ml (4fl oz) unsweetened almond milk
- 60g (2oz) breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Start by pressing and marinating the tofu. Wrap the tofu blocks each in a clean kitchen towel and place a few heavy books on top. To stop the books from sliding, you can line the tofu up against the backsplash of your countertop. Press the tofu for at least 15 minutes.
- Break the tofu blocks in half, width-wise, and then tear into 1-inch pieces. (You can also do this with a knife, cutting into cubes, but tearing the gives it a nice texture).
- Make the marinade: add the miso to a medium bowl with a splash of the hot water and whisk to combine. Add the remaining hot water, Dijon, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and sea salt. Add the tofu chunks and let marinate for at least 10 minutes. Stir gently with a spatula from time to time to ensure all pieces are well marinated.
- Now it’s time to bread the tofu. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Add the cornflour to a medium shallow bowl, add a splash of almond milk and whisk to combine. Pour in the remaining almond milk, little by little while whisking, to make a thick milky mixture.
- In a separate shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, chilli powder, paprika, onion powder, sea salt and garlic powder.
- Dip the marinated tofu in the milky mixture and then roll in the breadcrumbs to coat. (It’s helpful to use a spoon to pour the breadcrumbs into difficult nooks and crannies). Place the breaded tofu on the prepared baking tray. Continue until you’ve rolled all the tofu in the breaded mixture
- Bake the tofu nuggets for 15 minutes until lightly golden. Flip and bake the other side for 10 more minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Serve with ketchup, BBQ sauce or plum sauce for dipping.
Vegan Life tip
These tofu chicken nuggets are best enjoyed right after baking, while the breading is crispy and crunchy. They will keep as leftovers: Store in the fridge in an air-tight container for 3 days. However, the nuggets will be more chewy than crunchy. If you’d
like to crunch them up again, you can pop back in the oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 10 minutes.