Tomato & Herb Crackers with Macadamia Cream Cheese
These crispy, savoury crackers keep well and are a delicious accompaniment to almost anything — especially cheese.
For the crackers:
- 300g (10.5) flax seeds
- 720ml (1.2 pints) water
- 65g (2.2 oz) pecans
- 55g (1.9 oz) sundried tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Small bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
- Small bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
For the cream cheese:
- 95g (3.3 oz) macadamia nuts
- 120ml (4 fl oz) water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh basil, leaves only
- Extra virgin olive oil, a little for drizzling (optional)
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Measure the flax seeds and water into a large bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside for around 45 minutes, until the water is absorbed, and the mixture has become viscous and sticky.
- Place the pecans and sundried tomatoes in two separate small bowls and barely cover them with warm water before setting aside.
- When the flax seeds have finished soaking, add the tomatoes and pecans, along with their soaking liquid, to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped but not puréed. Mix this into the flax seeds.
- Add all the other ingredients to the flax mixture and stir well to combine.
- Line dehydrator trays with Teflex sheets and spread the flax mixture out over the surface, to a thickness of around 5mm. Then dehydrate for 5 hours.
- After the 5 hours, lift the Teflex sheets out of the trays and flip them so that the crackers are directly sat on the trays. Score into individual crackers at this point, to make breaking them easier. Return to the dehydrator for another 2 hours or until crisp.
- To make the cream cheese, place all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until very smooth. Pour the mixture into a nut milk bag and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Discard the liquid and scrape the solids into a bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
- Serve by spreading a thick layer of cheese on each cracker and top with tomato slices and fresh basil leaves. Add some cracked black pepper and a drizzle of good olive oil, if desired.
Vegan Life tip
These crackers will store well in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Recipe by Vegan Life in-house chefs.