Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Panettone
Light and fluffy vegan panettone oozing with chocolate spread and crunchy hazelnuts. This Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Panettone is worth the time and is delicious sliced thickly at breakfast and served with tea or coffee. It also makes a wonderful gift for someone special!
Makes 1 Loaf
For the dough
- 150ml (5 fl oz) plant-based milk, warmed
- 2 tsp quick dried yeast
- 100g (3.5 oz) caster or coconut sugar
- 9 tbsp aquafaba (water from tinned chickpeas)
- 175g (6.1 oz) vegan butter or margarine butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g (17.6 oz) strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp salt
For the filling:
- 150g (5.3 oz) dark chocolate hazelnut spread
- 50g (1.7 oz) hazelnuts, chopped
- Oil, for greasing
For the toppings:
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk
- 20g (0.7 oz) hazelnuts, chopped
- 4 tbsp dark chocolate hazelnut spread, warmed
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Make sure the milk is lukewarm and stir in the yeast. Leave to one side for 5-10 minutes.
- Lightly beat the aquafaba with an electric hand whisk until bubbly and frothy and slowly add in the sugar while whisking. Continue to whisk as you pour in the melted butter and vanilla.
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a free-standing electric mixer with the dough hook attached. Pour in the yeast mixture and the aquafaba mixture and knead for 10 minutes on a low setting.
- Once soft, springy and shiny, remove the dough, place in a greased bowl and cover. Leave to double in size in a warm place for about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, divide the chocolate spread into half teaspoon amounts, place on parchment paper and freeze to solidify and then lightly dust with flour. Chop the hazelnuts.
- Prepare a 20 cm round tin with parchment paper.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and grease your hands a little with oil. Add the chocolate spread balls and hazelnuts to the dough and knead for 3-4 minutes with your hands to incorporate the chocolate and hazelnuts. Transfer to the lined tin, cover and leave somewhere warm for 45-60 minutes to increase in volume (it will expand to fill the tin).
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan/180°C/355°F/Gas 4. Brush the dough with the milk, sprinkle over the chopped hazelnuts and bake for 45-50 minutes until really golden on top and risen.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack. To serve, slightly warm the chocolate spread, drizzle over the panettone, sprinkle over the hazelnuts and dust with icing sugar.
- Store wrapped up in an airtight container for a few days.