Vegan Salmon Lox
Simply serve this vegan salmon on an English muffin topped with dairy-free cream cheese for a satisfying spin on a traditional festive brunch dish.
- 3-4 carrots
- 900g (2 lb) kosher salt
- 240ml (8 fl oz) water
- 120ml (4 fl oz) soy sauce
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp caper brine
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- ½ tbsp kelp granules
- 1 tbsp algae oil
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
- Wash and clean your carrots, leaving wet. Use a baking dish, pour a bed of salt onto the baking dish, then place your veggies on the salt, then cover with more salt. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- To a large bowl, add water and the rest of the ingredients.
- Once the carrots are done baking, allow them to cool completely and remove from the salt. Slice into thin slices and place in brine mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Once done, remove from brine, top with capers and fresh dill, and enjoy!
Recipe from Making Vegan Meat: The Plant-Based Food Science Cookbook by Mark Thompson (Published by Mango Publishing Group).